The Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCo) was created by State law in 1963 to provide assistance to local agencies in overseeing jurisdictional boundary changes. Each of the 58 counties in California has a LAFCo Commission.
The objectives of LAFCo are to:
- Encourage the orderly formation of local government agencies and promote the efficient provision of public services
- Preserve agricultural land and open-space resources
- Promote orderly growth and discourage urban sprawl
LAFCo’s oversight includes the following duties:
- Boundary changes (annexations and detachments) of cities and special districts
- Incorporation of new cities and districts
- Consolidation or reorganization of special districts and or cities
- Formation of new agencies
- Municipal Service Reviews (MSRs)
- Spheres of Influence Updates (SOIs)
For more information about LAFCo please read this 2015 brochure.